Sunday 13 March 2005

Food And Drink

Food and drink is part of the culture of a nation. This is why I always try to eat local food when I am somewhere: it sometimes brings up an unexpected aspect of a particular place and culture. So, here is what I found so far about Atlanta.

On Friday, I had a bison burger at Ted's Montana Grill. I asked for it to be done medium-rare and it was perfect. Bison meat has a slightly different flavour and is leaner than beef, which added to the experience.

Rumours about American filter coffee are true: it is little more than brown water. They do a great espresso though. However, considering a single espresso here is the equivalent of a double one back home, I keep to the single.

I had a great breakfast at The Flying Biscuit Cafe in Midtown on Saturday. They had a 30 minute wait if you wanted a table so I opted for the bar. It is worth the wait if you want a table though because the food is great and the staff is very friendly. The scrambled eggs were done to perfection, the potatoes were seasoned just right and they have a wicked cranberry and apple butter. Next time, I'll have the bigger version that comes with a pancake and peach compote because it looked fantastic.

I had the best cheesecake ever at The Cheesecake Factory on Saturday. I had fresh strawberries with it and it came with two huge dollops of whipped cream. I am not that fond of whipped cream, even though this one was very good, so I left some on the plate but none of the cheesecake.

A mix of dry roasted peanuts and chocolate M&M's are a great snack for playing poker, way better than peanut M&M's.

I discovered Kellogg's Pop-Tarts today. I was in a store and I saw blueberry pop-tarts. As I love blueberries, I thought I'd buy some. I ate the first one cold not realising it had to be warmed up in the toaster or the microwave. I warmed up the next one but the taste didn't really improve: I can't really taste blueberries. However, I now have the amazing opportunity of getting a talking t-shirt. I'll pass.

I went to Wendy's Old Fashioned Hamburgers for lunch today. The burger was nice, if not exceptional. However, they also do cups and bowls of fresh fruit, which is a really great idea. As I was hungry, I had a bowl, which comes with the fruit on a bed of salad and a some yogurt. I found the bed of salad was out of place and the yogurt was very bland but the whole idea of having some fresh fruit on the menu is great. Surely, this could work very well in Europe so what are McDonald's and Burger King waiting for?

No comments: